Multi-platform campaigns: Credit cards and billing
Adding credit cards and debit cards to Multi-platform campaigns is easy and safe, but if you run into problems, take a look at this article for troubleshooting tips.
Not everyone has this feature yet. If you don't, don't worry—it's coming soon!
Your search ads will be eligible to run once you have added a primary payment method. Your monthly billing date is the date that you signed up for Multi-platform campaigns.
We charge your primary payment method when you reach your billing threshold or your monthly billing date, whichever comes first. Your billing threshold works as follows:
Learn more about the billing threshold
- In order for Microsoft Advertising to validate your primary payment information, we'll charge you after your spend reaches $1.
- After your payment succeeds, your billing threshold will increase from $1 to $25.
Your primary payment method will be charged on your monthly billing date unless you have made a successful payment within the past 10 days, either by reaching your billing threshold or by paying your account balance. Your card can be charged multiple times a month each time ad spend reaches your billing threshold. You will be able to see how much you spend in search ads versus social ads, but you won't be able to see the spend on each individual ad platform.
To view your billing threshold, select the profile picture the upper-right corner of any Multi-platform campaigns page and then select Billing and payments. The threshold is shown in the Current search advertising balance tile.
Billing thresholds start out low and will automatically increase when you make successful payments. The amount of increase depends on your currency and other factors. Alternatively, Microsoft Advertising automatically decreases your billing threshold if you run into problems paying your charges.
For businesses located in the United States, billing is managed by Microsoft Online, Inc. in the United States, and Microsoft Advertising is not required to charge taxes on advertising costs.
Microsoft Advertising cannot provide guidance on tax. Please contact your tax advisor or local tax office if you have questions.
Add a payment method
Follow these steps to add a credit or debit card as your payment method:
- In the upper-right corner of any Multi-platform campaigns page, select the profile picture, and then select Billing and payments.
- In the Payment for search advertising tile, select Add new card.
- In the drop-down list, choose payment method type.
- Primary payment method: Payment method charged for search advertising.
- Backup payment method: Payment method that will be used if the primary payment method didn't cover all charges.
- Additional payment method: Payment method that is only charged if you make a one-time payment, or if you later set it as the primary or backup payment method.
- Enter your credit or debit card number without spaces or punctuation.
- Enter the rest of the billing details and then select Save.
You can only remove payment methods that are classified as additional. If you only have one card in Microsoft Advertising, add another card, and assign it as the new primary card. Once that is updated, you can remove your previous primary card. To remove a backup payment method, you must first designate it as an additional payment method.
Inactive accounts cannot be reactivated if they are associated with an expired or otherwise invalid payment method or if the account has had too many declined payments. If you are unable to add a valid payment method, create a new account and enter your credit or debit card information in the new account.
Microsoft Advertising occasionally provides promotional offers or coupons. Although you can't request a promotional offer, you can find them through Microsoft Advertising promotional events, online marketing drives, or other special offers. Promotional offers may require that you spend money on your advertising campaigns first to get a credit toward advertising. The Promotional offers tile is shown on the Billing and payments page.
Make a one-time payment
You can pay the charges on your account before it reaches your billing threshold or your next billing cycle. Partial payments are not accepted.
- In the upper-right corner of any Multi-platform campaigns page, select the profile picture and then select Billing and payments.
- Select Pay account balance from the Current search advertising balance tile.
- Select the payment method you want to use.
- Select Pay now.
Credit and debit card requirements
Please note the following requirements for credit and debit cards:
Multi-platform campaigns accepts credit and debit cards only for example, VISA, MasterCard, American Express, and Discover Network). We do not accept payments by prepaid cards.
Multi-platform campaigns doesn't accept cards that require you to enter a PIN/security verification when making a payment.
- Enter your name precisely as it appears on the card. Only include your middle initial if it appears on your card.
- If your address exceeds the Address 1 field, then use the Address 2 field. Do not shorten or abbreviate your address.
- The card number and type cannot be edited, so if you make a mistake, you'll need to add a new one with the correct information.
Contact your credit card company in the following situations:
- To make sure you're authorized to use this card for online purchases and automatic billing.
- The credit card has expired, has been reported lost or stolen, has reached its transaction limit, or is new and hasn't been activated.
- Required multi-factor authentication failed. Your bank might require multi-factor authentication to help prevent online fraud and unauthorized access to your account. If the one-time passcode didn't work, try resending the code or adding the card again. If this doesn't resolve the issue, please contact your bank to validate your information. Learn more about Payment Services Directive 2 and Strong Customer Authentication.