Smart campaigns: Track what customers do after they click your ad
We can tell you what pages potential customers visit on your website, how long they spend there, and more!
Not everyone has this feature yet. If you don't, don't worry—it's coming soon!
For customer action tracking to work, you (or a web developer) will need to add a tracking tag to each page of your website's code.
Once you have a smart campaign up and running, your click data shows how many potential customers visit your website. But what do these visitors do once they get there? Find out with customer action tracking, which gives you a clearer picture of your return on investment (ROI) with Microsoft Advertising.
Customer action tracking can show you precisely:
- How many people visit your website.
- How long they spend there.
- If they visit the pages that are most important to your business.
The last point is critical, because your website is designed around your business goals. When you send potential customers to a specific landing page, you're hoping they proceed to take specific actions that have value to your business. Is your goal to sell products, to raise brand awareness, to generate leads, to drive foot traffic to your physical location, or something else? Customer action tracking can help you make sure that your advertising budget is driving real results.
Setting up customer action tracking
Get started: On your smart campaign's home page, find the Customer action tracking pane, and click Set up tracking.
Add special pages to track: Depending on your business goal, you'll want your ad to drive customers to specific pages—for example, an order confirmation or "Contact us" page. Add these pages and then click Next. For more information on this step, take a look at Define special pages of your website.
Edit your website: For customer action tracking to work, someone will need to add a tracking tag to each page of your website's code. You have three options here:
- If you built your website using WordPress.com, Wix, Shopify, or BigCommerce (and want to use it to edit your website's code), select Let me add the tracking tag through a website editing platform and then click Next.
- If you're comfortable making updates directly to your website's code, select Let me edit my website's code myself and then click Next.
- If someone else usually updates your website's code for you, select Let me send the tracking tag to someone else and then click Next. In the next step, enter the appropriate email address or addresses, click Send, and then Next.
For more information on this step, take a look at Add the tracking tag to your website.
Monitor customer action tracking
After it's set up, the Customer action tracking pane on your smart campaign's home page will show you how many visits your ad is driving to your website and your special pages.
Click the More options icon to:
- View tracking tag if you need to copy the tracking tag again.
- Test my tag to make sure we are receiving data from your tracking tag.
- Manage special pages to add more pages or pause tracking for certain pages.