Smart campaigns: Track what customers do after they click your ad
We can tell you what pages potential customers visit on your website, how long they spend there, and more!
Not everyone has this feature yet. If you don't, don't worry—it's coming soon!
For customer action tracking to work, you (or a web developer) will need to add a tracking tag to each page of your website's code.
Once your smart campaign is up and running, your click data shows how many potential customers visit your website. By showing you what customers do when they get to your website, customer action tracking gives you a clearer picture of your return on investment (ROI) with (ROI) with Microsoft Advertising.
Customer action tracking can show you precisely:
- How many people visit your website.
- How long they spend there.
- If they visit the pages that are most important to your business.
The last point is critical, because your website is designed around your business goals. When you send potential customers to a specific landing page, you're hoping they take specific actions that are valuable to your business. Is your goal to sell products, to raise brand awareness, to generate leads, to drive foot traffic to your physical location, or something else? Customer action tracking helps you make sure that your advertising budget is driving effective results.
Set up customer action tracking
- Get started:
From the collapsible menu on the left, select All campaigns > Campaign details for the campaign you want to edit.
In the Customer action tracking pane, select Set up tracking.
- Select what type of conversion you want to track:
Learn more about conversion goal categories.
Select Sales, Leads, or Others.
Choose a specific interaction/event you want to use for tracking that conversion type.
Select how you would like to track:
Learn more about conversion goal types.
Select By destination URL or By custom event.
Set up your conversion goal:
Learn more about setting parameters.
Enter a name for your goal and set the custom event parameters.
Measure the value for each conversion:
Select Each conversion action has the same value or Conversion action value may vary and enter the value of the conversion.
If you select No value, you do not have the option to enter a conversion value. We don't recommend this.
- Edit your website: For customer action tracking to work, someone will need to add a tracking tag to each page of your website's code. You have three options here:
- If you built your website using WordPress.com, Wix, Shopify, or BigCommerce (and want to use it to edit your website's code), select Let me add the tracking tag through a website editing platform and then select Next.
- If you're comfortable making updates directly to your website's code, select Let me edit my website's code myself and then select Next.
- If someone else usually updates your website's code for you, select Let me send the tracking tag to someone else and then select Next. In the next step, enter the appropriate email address or addresses, select Send, and then Next.
For more information on this step, take a look at Add the tracking tag to your website.
Monitor customer action tracking
After setup, the Customer action tracking pane on your smart campaign's home page will show you how many visits your ad is driving to your website and special pages.
Select the ellipsis icon to:
- View tracking tag if you need to copy the tracking tag again.
- Test my tag to make sure we're receiving data from your tracking tag.
- Manage special pages to add more pages or pause tracking for certain pages.