Ad suggestions can help boost performance
Learn how Microsoft Advertising can create and run ads for you automatically.
Microsoft Advertising can help manage your ad group performance for you, by creating suggested additional ads for ad groups that appear to be underperforming.
Campaigns and ad groups tend to get better results when they have more ads getting your message out—research shows ad groups with three or more quality ads can get up to 15% more clicks
than those with only one ad. Driven by artificial intelligence, Microsoft Advertising offers you a hand by identifying ad groups that show potential for better performance and creating new ads, based on your existing ads.
How it works
Ad suggestions are part of Recommendations, which are ideas offered by Microsoft Advertising to help improve your campaign's performance.
When Microsoft Advertising identifies an ad group that might be helped by having more quality ads, it creates suggested ads designed for that ad group. Note that most of your ad groups might never get suggested ads.
- The suggested ads are variations of your existing ads, based on their keywords, ad extensions, landing page, targeting, and other relevant content.
You are notified on the Recommendations screen that suggested ads have been created for you. You'll get a maximum of 50 suggested ads at any one time.
If you have enabled Auto-apply recommendations under the account level Settings > Account Settings, you will be notified of the review period in which you can apply, edit, or decline any suggested ad. If no action is taken on an ad by the end of the review period, it automatically applies to your ad group.
Applied ads become part of your ad group's ad rotation. Within the tables on the Ads & extensions screen, they are identified as Automated ads.
- Ads that you choose to apply should start to immediately appear in searches within 48 hours. Those you decline are removed. They may reappear in the future if the recommendation becomes available again. If you take no action on an ad, it is automatically applied to your account at the end of the review period.
- You can choose to have suggested ads created and automatically applied to your account, all behind the scenes.
Apply new Ad suggestions automatically
To take this piece of performance management off your plate, set Microsoft Advertising to automatically create and apply more ad variations where they're needed. While you still have the option to review, edit, apply, or decline any ad suggestion within the review period, Microsoft Advertising can also handle the process with no attention or action from you.
We'll email you and notify you when you log into Microsoft Advertising each time more ads are created. Ensure Ad performance optimization is selected in your email preferences to receive email notifications.
Opt in or out of auto-apply recommendations:
From the collapsible menu on the left, select All campaigns > Settings > Account settings.
- Under Auto-apply recommendations, select the check box next to each of the ad types you would like to be automatically applied to your account.
When you opt in to Auto-apply recommendations, all of your ad groups are watched for areas with performance improvement potential. So keep in mind that each set of suggested ads might be intended for different ad groups.
Track performance of suggested ads
Applied ads join your ad group's rotation for potential appearance in searches. When they start appearing, you can track their performance along with that of your other ads on the Ads & extensions screen.
To distinguish ads created by Microsoft Advertising from those you created, add the Automated ads column to your table.
- Above the table you want to modify, select Columns and then Modify columns.
- In Modify Columns, under Available columns > Attributes, select Automated ads.
Ads that automatically applied to your ad group show Yes in the Automated ads column. Ads show No in that column if you made any changes to ad content, including applying it directly.
Review and edit suggested ads
You always have the opportunity to review suggested ads before they go live, and to edit them anytime.
From the Campaigns page, go to the Ads & extensions tab. If there is a Recommendations banner at the top of the screen, you have suggested ads for review.
- Select the Recommendations banner to open the list of suggested ads.
- Select the Edit pencil to edit an ad.
You can also find Ad Suggestions on the Recommendations screeen.
On the Campaigns page, go to the Recommendations tab. Find the card with title Add new ads created just for you under Recommendations or Ads & extensions.
- Select View # Recommendations on the card to open the list of suggested ads.
- Select Edit for any ad you want to change.
Stop getting suggested ads
- To opt out of suggested ads and stop getting new ones, on the Campaigns page, go to the Ads & extensions
tab. If there is a Recommendations banner at the top of the screen, select it to open the list of suggested ads.
- Dismiss all of the suggested ads.
- In the Dismiss recommendations box, check the box at Don't offer this recommendation type again.
Here's another way:
On the Campaigns page, go to the Recommendations tab. Find the card with title Add new ads created just for you under Recommendations or Ads and Extensions.
Select the View # Recommendations button on the card to open the list of suggested ads.
Select Stop showing this type of recommendations.
Any ads or content created by Microsoft Advertising as part of this program are subject to editorial review, and will remain your "Content" as defined by your Microsoft Advertising Agreement.