About similar audiences
Learn how to use similar audiences to get you ads in front of a wider, qualified set of customers.
Not everyone has this feature yet. If you don't, don't worry—it's coming soon!
Connect with more qualified customers with similar audiences, generated automatically by Microsoft Advertising based on your existing remarketing lists. Similar audiences connect you with new customers who have similar behaviors and attributes to people you are already targeting.
How similar audiences work
- You must have at least one remarketing list with at least 300 users in order to use similar audiences.
- A similar audience needs to have at least 300 users on the search network or the Microsoft Audience Network before your ads can be shown to the audience.
With similar audiences, Microsoft Advertising does all the work for you. We analyze your existing remarketing lists and then comb the Microsoft Advertising Network for new potential customers who show similar attributes to the people on your lists. We base this analysis on a variety of signals, including search history, activity on Bing and other Microsoft properties, and user profile data.
If we've identified a similar audience that's large enough, then it's available for you to use right away.
Using similar audiences
How can I tell if I have similar audiences available to use?
From the Campaigns page, click Shared Library > Audiences.
- Any similar audiences we've identified will appear in the table, named "Similar to [name of remarketing list]".
Check the Audience status column for the similar audience:
- "Ready" means it's available to be associated to an ad group or campaign.
- "Audience too small" means we haven't identified enough similar customers yet. Check back later to see if we've found enough additional customers.
How do I target a similar audience?
From the Campaigns page, click on the Audiences tab.
Click Create association.
- Select the ad group or campaign you want to associate with a similar audience.
Under Ad group targeting or Campaign targeting, select Similar audience from the drop-down list of audience options.
Select your Targeting setting:
- Bid only: Shows ads to people searching for your ad, with the option to make bid adjustments for the selected audience.
- Target and bid: Shows ads only to the selected audience, with the option to make bid adjustments.
Adjust the Default bid adjustment. By default, new targeting associations are set to 15%, however, the bid adjustment can range from -90% to +900%.