What is an App Install Ad?
App Install Ads provide direct links to your apps with a button.
Not everyone has this feature yet. If you don’t, don’t worry - it's coming soon!
App Install Ads are similar to text ads but provide direct links to your apps with a button, sending customers directly to the applicable store to download the application. This is an ideal solution for advertisers wanting to manage and drive downloads of their apps, rather than website traffic.
App Install Ads automatically detect the customer’s mobile device and operating system, sending them to the corresponding Apple App Store or Google Play. You can also track conversions with the same conversion tracking partners as App Extensions: AppsFlyer, Kochava, Tune, Singular, Adjust, and Branch.
App Install Ads are available in the United States, Australia, Canada, Germany, France, India, United Kingdom, and on iOS and Android only. For Android apps, Microsoft Advertising only supports apps available in the United States Google Play store.
How do I create a new App Install Ad?
- From the Ads tab, click Create ad and then select an ad group.
- For Ad type, select App Install Ad.
- Enter your Mobile app details by searching for the app and selecting your mobile app from the results. If your mobile app can’t be found by searching, you can also look for your mobile app by entering the Apple App ID or the Google Package name.
- Enter your Ad title and Ad text details.
- If you want the ad to appear only on mobile devices, select Prefer Mobile Devices under Device preference.
- App Install Ads' landing page is automatically set to your selected mobile app's Final URL.
- Click Ad URL options to set up the tracking and redirect information for your ads.
- Enter a Tracking template for app install conversion tracking.
Enter the Custom parameters. Learn more
- Click Save.
What you need to know:
- When you do a manual search of your mobile app, Microsoft Advertising will query for it and populate the app details as soon as it’s available. If your mobile app is brand new, it can take up to 96 hours for the data to populate. For existing apps, it can take up to 24 hours.
- All ad attributes can be edited except for Ad type and Mobile app.
Are Upgraded URLs required in order to use App Install Ads?
Upgraded URLs are now generally available for all customers worldwide but it is not required to migrate all your existing URLs, which include standard text ad URLs, keyword destination URLs, and Sitelink Extension URLs, to start taking advantage of App Install Ads. You are still able to manage and optimize standard text ads using destination URLs and set up new App Install Ads using final URLs. We do recommend setting up an account-level tracking template to ensure that you can properly track and report your ad clicks.
Learn more about Upgraded URLs
How do I track conversions?
Track conversions by using app-specific URLs provided by Microsoft Advertising-certified partners. These URLs need to be placed in the tracking template field of the App Install Ad. Learn more about conversion tracking
- Click the Campaigns tab, and then on the left pane, click Conversion Tracking.
- Under Conversion Tracking, click Conversion goals.
- Click Create conversion goal.
- Enter the Name of your conversion goal and under Type, select Mobile app install. Click Next.
- Select the app platform and enter the App ID/package name.
App Store: Google Play
App Store: Apple App Store
- Optional: Assign a revenue value to see how much each conversion is worth to your business. Note: Variable revenue is not supported.
- Optional: Enter a conversion period to track up to 90 days in the past.
- Click Save.
What I need to know
How often does the store refresh? Microsoft Advertising gets the data from Satori and it takes 3-4 days to get the data refreshed.
How long does it take for app icons to be updated? After new thumbnails for app icons are created, it can take up 10 days for the updated app icons to be live.
How long does it take for the App URL details to be updated? It can take up to 3-4 days for the updated details to be live.